If you’re looking to earn money from your website online advertising is the way to go. Platforms like Taboola offer you an opportunity to use your website to generate revenues if you have a good number of visitors coming to your site. Taboola is a well-known platform for online publishers, but it can only support websites receiving 1 million visitors per month. If your blog is receiving decent traffic and you wish to monetize it, these Taboola alternatives can get you started:
In this article, I’ll help you understand each of these advertising platforms, requirements for using each platform, potential revenues and there pros and cons.
What Is Taboola?
When it comes to monetizing websites Taboola is a top choice for many. This network is the oldest, largest, and most popular native ad network. Its success gave birth to many ad networks on the market some of which are as good as Taboola, and quite a few alternatives that pay better than Taboola.
Taboola offers good revenue and its stellar online reputation has made it a household name among publishers for the last few years.
Benefits of Using Taboola
So if Taboola is this super great advertising platform why are publishers looking for alternatives?
One major letdown from this hotshot is how it can only accommodate publishers with more than 1 million visitors per month. That’s why most of their clients are often big websites on the internet. Those who fall below its traffic benchmark can’t use this network.
Don’t despair though if you don’t have the traffic numbers to monetize your website using Taboola. There are other platforms that have got you covered. The alternative networks provide monetizing services to low traffic sites and small publishers.
They give startup websites the option to earn more as they slowly grow their traffic numbers and ascend into the digital advertising scene.
How Does Taboola Offer Revenues to Websites?
To help you understand Taboola’s monetization processes, below are informative excerpts from Investopedia.
The key players involved in Taboola’s content marketing.
- The content contributors (advertisers) who wish to drive traffic to their sites and are willing to pay for it.
- The publishers (bloggers/site owners) who put a Taboola widget on their site and get paid for displaying the links.
- The interface (Taboola) which connects the contributors and publishers and facilitates the functioning of the marketplace.
In a nutshell, Taboola matches publishers looking to monetize their blog with advertisers looking to get traffic to their site. They help publishers monetize their website by displaying their ad recommendations in the form of story and video. Revenue is earned (or advertisers are charged) whenever a visitor clicks on a piece of sponsored content. Taboola helps grow the advertisers audience, enhance their return on investment, and increase their brand awareness by targeting the right audience.
How Much Revenue Can Publishers Get From Taboola?
Taboola shares 50% revenue with publishers. The cost per click (CPC) revenue rate ranges from $0.15 to $0.30 while click rates are from $0.50 to $0.75. MonetizePros came up with some revenue estimates using the lowest and the highest bids as shown below.
- $0.15 CPC x 0.50% CTR x 50% revenue share = $0.37 per thousand pageview to publishers
- $0.30 CPC x $0.75% CTR x 50% revenue share = $1.12 per thousand pageview to publishers
Hence, Taboola may pay most publishers an amount ranging between $0.37 and $1.12. If you take into consideration that Taboola only accommodates websites with over one million visitors website owners with such numbers can enjoy $370 to $1,120 per million pageviews.
This means that in order to get big revenues from Taboola, you need to have a massive audience. It’s a discouraging factor for small publishers who wish to earn more from their site. The good thing, however, is that there are good alternatives to Taboola.
What Are Some of The Best Taboola Alternatives?
If you run a blog with decent web traffic you can still monetize from it through these alternatives. These native ad networks work in a similar way as Taboola and offer good cost per mile (CPM) rates.The platforms have different requirements and limitations. I’ll walk you through each of them and at the end of it you can decide on which network works best for you.#1
Adblade is one of the oldest platforms in the industry. It has been used by many premium publishers, including the notable Fox News. This native ad network is a bit low-key in comparison to its competition, but they are also one of the leading choices by major websites.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: 500,000 monthly pageviews.
- CPM Rates: Adblade revenue share usually ranges from 60:40 to 70:30. However, this will depend on the negotiation between the publisher and Adblade’s representative. Websites with lower monthly pageview need to work more to generate higher stats in order to get Adblade on board.
- Payment Terms: They make payments in 30 days, but you need to have a minimum of $50 to request for payment.
- One of the oldest and trusted networks
- Good reputation in the market with a large ad inventory
- Limited to mid-scale websites
- Difficult for small publishers to get approval.
MGID is a less popular platform offering remarkable results due to its adult type ads. MGID works with publishers turned advertisers looking to improve website traction and earn from traffic arbitrage. It is a great alternative to Taboola for publishers of all sizes.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: 5000 pageviews a day and you must be running family-friendly content
- CPM Rates: It is higher for viral sites and can range from $0.50 to $2.
- Payment Terms: They pay in 30 days, but you need to have a minimum of $100 to request for payment. Payment methods can either be through bank transfer or Paypal.
- High CTR
- Better customer support
- Great system to work with as their account managers can help you with the onboarding and tag/s generation
- Performs well on adult ads
This is one of today’s rising native ad network superstars and they work with premium publishers. Revcontent serves more than 100 billion recommendations per month. They have a wide range of customizable widgets you can use to monetize your traffic.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: 3 million pageviews per month.
- CPM Rates: It offers $1 to $3, depending on tier traffic.
- Payment Terms: You need to have a minimum of $100 to request a payment. Payment method is through Paypal or Wire.
- One of the leading native Ad network
- Customizable widgets
- Good customer support
- Large Ad inventory
- Only works for sites with high traffic and good Alexa rank
Taboola and Outbrain are major rivals when it comes to native ad networks. Both work with many premium publishers and have almost similar rates. However, Outbrain is quality-focused. That’s why they are very particular in approving clients.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: 5 million pageviews per month
- CPM Rates: It offers $1 to $3, but this depends on factors like click-through rates, CPC, number of ad widgets on the page and over rank website rank.
- Payment Terms: You need to have a minimum of $50 to request a payment that will be processed in 60 days. Payment method is through Paypal or wire transfers.
- One of the highest CPC
- A worldwide trusted network
- Large Ad inventory
- Only works for premium publishers
Earnify runs on a CPC and CPA model. This translates to publishers being paid on a cost per click basis, with its rate remaining high if the clicks or visitors are converting for the advertiser. If these clicks do not convert into sales, a publisher’s rate gradually decreases and you may end up with low revenues.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: 500,000 pageviews per month with a website that is family-friendly and compliant to the advertiser’s requirements
- CPM Rates: It offers $1 to $3, but this increases with the number of widgets you are using. If you have two widgets, for example, you get $2 to $6.
- Payment Terms: You need to have a minimum of $100 to request a payment that will be processed in 30 days.
- Trusted platform
- High CPC rate
- Revenues depend on conversion rates for the advertisers
This is a new network in the industry that offers good rates for websites. Mediavenus works best for websites with good traffic flow.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: 500 pageviews per month and the content must be relevant to the visitors and advertisers.
- CPM Rates: It offers $1 to $2 and varies a lot based on geographic targets.
- Payment Terms: You need to have a minimum of $15 to request a payment that will be processed in 7 days. Payment method options can be through PayPal, wire transfers, and other convenient options.
- Good for both big and small publishers
- Competitive pricing
- Good and fast payment terms
- Wider payment options
- Not so popular in the industry which can discourage potential clients
This fast-growing network is based in the UK. It is similar to previously mentioned platforms like Revcontent, and MGID. Adskeeper runs on a CPC model and shows native content recommendations on sidebars or after an article/post. It is popular among European advertisers.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: There is currently no minimum traffic requirement. But sites that work best with Adskeeper are within the downloading, torrent, and file sharing niches.
- CPM Rates: It offers $0.01 to $0.03 for Asian and tier 3 traffic publishers. Tier 1 traffic gets $0.08 to $0.1.
- Payment Terms: You need to have a minimum of $100 to request payment that will be processed in 30 days. Payment method options can be through PayPal or wire transfers.
- Good for both big and small publishers
- Small rates
- Not all niches work best with Adskeeper
ADnow is one of the best native ad networks available to small and mid-level websites. It has a 100% fill rate across all geographic sites. It also has a high CPC rate for European traffic. If you would like to earn more from Adnow, it is ideal to use 3 widgets on your website.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: 1000 pageviews per day and websites must be professionally designed.
- CPM Rates: There is no consistent flat rate for publishers as they need to check the availability of advertisers within specific geo. But it offers $0.1 for American traffic and $0.01 for Indian traffic.
- Payment Terms: You need to have a minimum of $20 to request a payment that will be processed biweekly. Payment method is through PayPal.
- Good for small and mid-level publishers
- Fast payment terms
- Small rates
Media.net has a huge pool of search advertisers from the Yahoo/Bing ad network. It runs on a search mechanism where visitors are shown with targeted native keywords. Once they’ll click on these keywords, they are taken to a page filled with search advertisers. If they click on these search advertisements, publishers earn a revenue.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: 5000 pageviews per month, but approvals largely depend on the volume of US traffic.
- CPM Rates: It offers $2 and above for good converting American traffic. If such traffic shows a declining conversion rate your rate will also decrease.
- Payment Terms: You need to have a minimum of $100 to request a payment.
- Works well for small and mid-level publishers
- Good for product-based sites with a high volume of US and Canadian traffic
- Rates depend on the conversion, clicks, and outcomes of the interactions
Shareaholic, as the name suggests, is a social sharing service for website owners to get more interaction (via shares and likes) for their content. They promote paid stories using native advertising. Most of their publishers are WordPress bloggers.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: they have no minimum traffic requirement.
- CPM Rates: Rates would depend on several variables: your site’s traffic volume, demographics, contents, etc. It is best to ask for a quote directly from the Shareaholic team.
- Payment Terms: You need to have a minimum of $100 to request a payment. Payment methods can be through PayPal, wire transfer or direct deposits.
- Works for all scales and sizes
- Easy and simple to use
- Good targeting, especially for blog sites
- Real-time tracking of statistics
- Optimized widgets
- Less trusted provider compared to other networks
Gravity is a good native ad network that’s popular among premium advertisers and publishers. It is backed by the AOL network and has some of the biggest publishers like about.com, Huffington Post, etc. Those who get the chance to get onto this platform has enjoyed great revenues. Gravity is best for monetization on huge US traffic.
- Minimum Traffic Requirement: one million pageviews per month.
- CPM Rates: Rates depend on several variables like your website’s traffic volume, demographics, contents, and so on.
- Payment Terms: You need to have a minimum of $100 to request for payment that will be processed in 60 days. Payment methods for US-based publishers is through a check, while international publishers are paid through wire transfers.
- Personalized Ad recommendations
- Good CTR
- Great revenue for publishers
- An old and trusted brand worldwide
- Works best for high-level publishers.
Order Web Traffic Now
Taboola is, without a doubt, one of the best native ad networks. But the alternatives I mentioned in this article are becoming more popular and are competing hard against Taboola. So choose the one you see can bring the most revenues to your website. If you need to increase your traffic numbers to be accepted to some of these ad network platforms Web Traffic Geeks (WTG) can help you increase the number of eyeballs coming to your site.
WTG has affordable traffic plans and delivers 100% real and targeted users to your site. You can choose from its 133+ niches and 40+ countries. In 2019 WTG has been recognized as the best rated website traffic seller of 2019. So with WTG you are guaranteed of quality traffic that you can use to generate money from your website.
Visit our website for more details on our traffic plans.
Any publisher can earn from their traffic flow. You just need to choose the best Ad network that can support your site.
According to Taboola, native ads can come in virtually any shape or size, so long as the publisher and advertiser clearly label the unit as “sponsored”. However, they are usually displayed as widgets.
You need to consider your website traffic, the quality of the network, its compatibility with your system, and its management support.